At a Glance
Commerce Bancshares, Inc., operates as a super-community bank offering an array of sophisticated financial products delivered with high-quality, personal customer service. The company's customer promise - We ask, listen and solve - is not just its brand, but also its corporate focus. With this platform, Commerce is continually building its long-term franchise while paying strict attention to asset quality and expense management.
In the industry for more than 150 years, Commerce offers a super-community banking experience that pairs large bank products and services with deep local market knowledge and experience.
The company's focus on local markets is supported by regional advisory boards comprised of local business professionals and community representatives who assist Commerce in responding to local banking needs. Our customer promise "We ask, listen and solve" means we are dedicated to servicing our customer's needs with solutions, including:
- A broad array of consumer products and services
- Sophisticated commercial lending, equipment financing and international banking services
- A national presence in commercial payment and merchant solutions
- Innovative payment products including claims processing, supply chain finance and accounts payable processing
- Wealth and asset management for individuals, businesses and institutions
Industry Ranking and Recognition
- $25.6 billion in assets2; ranked #39 among U.S. banks1
- $5.9 billion Market Cap2; ranked #28 among U.S. banks1
- The Commerce Trust Company oversees $43.1 billion in assets under administration and $25.4 billion in assets under management (AUM)2; ranked #22 nationally based on AUM1.
- Commerce consistently ranks among the top issuers of credit, debit and commercial cards, according to The Nilson Report. We were recently recognized as the 7th largest purchasing card issuer and the 16th largest commercial card provider in the U.S.3
- Bloomberg Markets magazine named Commerce Family Office, a division of The Commerce Trust Company, the 22nd largest family office in the world by assets as of November 2015.
- Moody’s ranks Commerce among the top 7 banks in the country with a baseline credit assessment (BCA) of a1. BCA reflects a bank's standalone credit strength.4
Commerce values employees, customers and shareholders while striving to produce consistent, solid returns. During the last 10 years, the company’s annualized total shareholder return was 9.66% compared to the NASDAQ Bank return of 3.59%.
Total Shareholder Returns*Indexed, 12/31/2006 = 100
• Consistent, Positive Returns to Stakeholders
• Significant Outperformance Relative to Banks Over Long Period
Source: Bloomberg, data as of 12/31/2016
Long Term View: Net Income and Earnings Per Share
• EPS Remains Strong
• 48th Consecutive Year of Dividend Growth
All data restated for 5% stock dividend distributed in December 2016
*Including 2012 special dividend = $1.90
Source: CBI corporate finance
150 Years of Building Commerce
Since 1865, the success of Commerce Bank has revolved around three central themes:
Strength – Our financial strength has allowed us to weather difficult economic times and expand over the years, while continuing to operate independently. From our original base in Kansas City, we have forged partnerships and expanded throughout the central part of the United States.
Community – Commerce is a product of the communities we serve, a partnership of our customers, employees and shareholders. We are proud we have continued to bring value to our customers, that we support our region’s economy and that we work with others to make our communities better places to live.
Innovation – Financial services is a dynamic and constantly changing market. At Commerce, we value and have been successful in applying new ideas, new technology and creativity to change while maintaining our core values of customer service and teamwork.
- We have a long-term View
- We collaborate as One team
- We act with Integrity
- We are Customer focused
- We strive for Excellence
Commerce is focused on enhancing our services, being responsive to customer needs and adopting new technologies to address these needs. We continue to put great emphasis on culture – working as a team to deliver the right solutions for our customers. Our core values shape our culture and guide how we do business. In this way, we give VOICE to our values
Data as of September 30, 2016 unless otherwise noted.
1 SNL Financial; ranking as of September 30, 2016.
2 As of December 31, 2016.
3 The Nilson Report, June 2016.
4 Moody's US Bank Ratings; November 15, 2016.