Online Banking FAQs
- What can I do with Online Banking?
- Online Banking is the quick, easy, secure and smart way to manage your money. With Online Banking, you can:
- Check your account balances and review your transactions
- Confirm which checks, deposits, withdrawals and ATM transactions have cleared
- Transfer funds between Commerce accounts
- Keep track of your Commerce Credit Card transactions
- Export your banking information to your personal financial management software, such as Quicken®
- Communicate with Commerce Bank Customer Service via secure email
- Bank on the go with Mobile Banking
- Manage your accounts with Alerts email notifications
- Nickname your accounts
- View up to 7 years of statements and checks from the last six months
- Pay bills online – free with myRewards, myDirect, myDirect Student, SeniorPartners, Private Options, CommerceOptions Plus and CommerceOptions Premium checking accounts, or $6.95/month for other accounts (for up to 20 payments each month; $.60 for additional payments)
- What are the two methods of access?
- We offer Online Banking Services through www.commercebank.com and through your personal financial management software (PFM), including Quicken®.
- How do I activate Online Banking?
- Simply go to the Online Banking page and choose either "Activate Now" for Online Banking through the Internet or click "Download Application" for Online Banking through Quicken.
- Can I activate Online Banking if I don't live in the United States?
- Yes. Commerce Bank customers may activate Online Banking through the Internet regardless of their mailing address. Unfortunately, customers with a foreign address are not able to enroll in Online Bill Pay or Online Banking through Quicken at this time.
- Can I use any Internet Service Provider?
- Yes, you can access our site through almost any Internet Service Provider (ISP).
- Do I need any special software for Online Banking?
- No, as long as you have access to a computer with Internet access and a browser that supports 128-bit encryption.
- What browsers does Online Banking support?
- Customers can access Online Banking with the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer® 8.0 or higher
- Where can I review all of the details about Online Banking?
- Just click below or click the link on any page in the Online Services section of our site to review or print the Online Banking Terms and Conditions. These Terms and Conditions contain many details about our online services as well as information regarding important legal matters. If you would like a printed copy mailed to you, please contact Online Banking Customer Service by calling 800-986-2265 or by sending secure message from within Online Banking or through standard Internet email to firstname.lastname@example.org.*
- What if I have more questions or need additional assistance with my Online Banking?
- Many of your questions can be answered by using the online "Help" feature. From within Online Banking, just click on the "Help" link, or click on the "Help with this page" link. You'll find information that's specific to the page you're viewing.
If you are using Online Banking through Quicken®, please contact the software provider.
If you can't find the answer here, you can call Online Banking Customer Service at
800-986-2265. This service is available: Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. -
10:00 p.m. (CT) and Saturday 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Or, you can ask your questions by sending a secure message from within Online Banking.
- How do I choose a secure Customer ID and Password?
- For your protection, please keep in mind the following guidelines as you select a Customer ID or Password for Online Banking through the Internet:
- Customer ID Requirements: Your Customer ID must be at least 6 characters, but not longer than 32. It should be a mixture of both letters and numbers. It may not contain the following characters: @ < > ? ' ". It is not case sensitive.
- Password Requirements: Your Password must be a minimum of 8 characters and a maximum of 32 characters in length. It is case sensitive, and should contain a mixture of lower-case letters, upper-case letters, and at least one number. It May contain other characters besides letters and numbers: _ - . , @ : ? ! ( ) $ /.
- Additional Password Recommendations: To increase the security of your Online Banking, your Password should not contain any letter or number repeated 3 or more times consecutively, such as AAA or 111. Also, it should not include any part of your name or initials or any four consecutive numbers of your social security number, phone number or address. We recommend that you do not use common words. Finally, do not write down your Password or share it with others.
- How do I change my Password and Customer ID?
- You may change your Password and Customer ID for Online Banking through Online Banking by clicking "Customer Service", "My Profile", then "Update Password/Customer ID". You will be asked to verify your current Password or Customer ID and to select a new Password or Customer ID. As you select a new Password or Customer ID, please refer to the guidelines above.
- What are the fees for Online Banking?
- The fees for Online Banking are based on the method of access and the services you select.
Through the Internet Through Quicken Online Banking FREE for all account types
Free with a CommerceOptions Plus or CommerceOptions Premium checking account.
Other accounts: $3.00 per month for up to 8 online sessions; $.35 for each additional session.
Online Bill Pay
FREE with myRewards, myDirect, myDirect Student Checking, Private Options, SeniorPartners, University Checking, CommerceOptions Plus and Premium and Benefits Banking Plus and Premium Accounts.
Other accounts: $6.95 per month for up to 20 payments; $.60 for each additional payment.
Free with a CommerceOptions Plus or Premium Checking checking accounts.*
Other accounts (includes Online Banking Plus Online Bill Pay): First two months free, then $9.95 per month for up to 20 bill payments. Each additional payment is $.60.
*One free Online Bill Pay account per CommerceOptions household.
- When attempting to log in, I receive a message that cookies must be enabled. What do I need to do?
- Web sites store information in a small text file on your computer called a cookie. When attempting to log in, if you receive a message that cookies must be enabled, and you have verified that cookies are enabled in your browser settings, please check to be sure that the date displayed on your computer is today's date. If the date is incorrect, please adjust your computer settings to correct the date, and attempt to log in again (Instructions on changing your computer settings can be found in your computer's Help file).
Privacy and Security
- Does Commerce offer an Online Banking Guarantee?
- Yes, our Online Banking Guarantee for personal accounts ensures that you will not be liable in the unlikely event of funds being removed from your account due to Online Banking, either through online theft of your account numbers or password, or by unauthorized removal of funds from your accounts through Online Banking. For complete details about your legal rights, please read carefully our Online Banking Terms and Conditions.
- How does Commerce protect the security of my information?
- We employ commercially-reasonable security practices to help ensure that your account information remains private and secure. Our security measures include Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology, 128-bit data encryption, multiple firewalls, and a Customer ID and Password that's known only to you.
My Account Information
- How is my financial information protected?
- Protecting the privacy and security of your confidential financial information is a top priority. Online Banking uses security levels with end-to-end encryption. Like an ATM "PIN", your accounts are protected with a Customer ID and Password which you should not write down or disclose to anyone. To gain a greater level of protection, we recommend changing your Customer ID and Password on a regular basis. Only you should know your private Customer ID and Password, so you can help protect your data. Your Customer ID and Password are NOT known to your Internet service provider or to Commerce Bank.
- What kind of accounts can I view with Online Banking?
- Online Banking provides access to your Commerce Bank checking, savings, and money market accounts, certificates of deposit and Individual Retirement Accounts, as well as your Commerce Bank Visa® or MasterCard® credit card accounts, personal loans and lines of credit. If you have already activated Small Business Online Banking, you will be able to see your personal and small business accounts together. Some restrictions apply, please see Small Business Online Banking for more details.
Note: Only checking accounts are eligible for Online Bill Pay.
- Can I access my Commerce Bank business accounts through Online Banking?
- Yes, if you're a Small Business owner, simply activate Small Business Online Banking and you can see your business and personal accounts in the same place. Some restrictions apply, please see Small Business Online Banking for more details.
- How frequently is my account information updated?
- Your pending transactions are updated in real time. These include transactions made at a Commerce ATM, in the teller line, and for certain Visa® Check Card transactions. Your account information ("Account Detail" and "Current Balance") is updated every business day from the transactions that have cleared your account the previous day. Your "Available Balance" is the portion of your balance that is immediately available for use.
- How do I change my email or mailing address?
- You may change your email address, mailing address and phone number in the "My Profile" section of "Customer Service" inside of Online Banking. You'll need to change your email address in Online Bill Pay as well.
- How do I get a copy of a check or statement?
- Both checks and statements are available in Online Banking.
For a check copy: On the “Account Activity” screen, locate the check and click "Front" or "Back" to view the check.
For a statement: In the "Accounts" section of Online Banking, go to "Statements". Click on the dropdown menus to select the Account and the Statement Period you wish to see, then select the statement you wish to view
- How do I sign up for E-Statements or change my statement option?
- To stop receiving paper statements, just click on “Customer Service”, "Statements & Account Information" then "Choose Statements Options/Stop Paper Statements" and follow the instructions. Statement Options include:
- E-Statement (FREE for all accounts) – Enjoy the convenience of paperless statements; we’ll store them online and they’re accessible any time. Plus, we’ll send you an email each month to let you know when your new statement is available.
- Paper Statement Fees may apply for Paper Statements. (Please see Statement Options Fee Schedule" for details )– Continue to receive a paper statement every month, but we’ll store your checks for you.
- Paper Statement with Images – (Fees may apply for Check Image Statements. Please see "Statement Options Fee Schedule" for details) – Receive your statement in the mail, plus you’ll get images of your cancelled checks each month.
Online Banking - Methods of Access
- What are the two methods of access?
- We offer Online Banking through the Internet at www.commercebank.com and through your personal financial management software (PFM), including Quicken®.
- What do I need to be able to access Online Banking through the Internet?
- As long as you have access to a computer with Internet access and a browser that supports 128-bit encryption, you may do your banking with Commerce through the Internet. Also, you can access our Web site through almost any Internet Service Provider (ISP). If you are using America Online (AOL) as your ISP, we recommend that you use the AOL 8.0 or higher Internet browser.
- What personal financial management software can I use with Online Banking?
- You can access your Commerce Bank account using QuickBooks®, or Quicken®:*
Quicken for Windows (2009 or later versions)
Quicken for Macintosh 2007
QuickBooks® for Windows (2009 or later versions)
*Quicken and QuickBooks are registered trademarks of Intuit Inc.
- I use PFM software to manage my personal finances. May I still use free Online Banking through the Internet?
- Yes, if you would like to use both Online Banking through your PFM software and Online Banking through the Internet, you will need to enroll for each method of access. Applicable fees will apply. Online Bill Pay, however, is only available through one method of access per customer.
- Can I access my Commerce Bank business accounts through Online Banking?
- Yes, if you're a Small Business checking customer, simply sign up for Small Business Online Banking and you can see your business and personal accounts in the same place. Some restrictions apply, please see Small Business Online Banking Terms & Conditions for more details.
- Are there limits to the types of transfers I can do with Online Banking?
- You may transfer funds between personal checking, savings and money market accounts. You may also transfer funds from a personal deposit account to a Commerce personal loan, credit card or ReadyLine of Credit to make a payment. In addition, you may transfer funds from a Home Equity Line of Credit to a personal deposit account.
If your account is a limited transaction account (regular savings or money market account) certain limitations may apply. For more information, please refer to the Online Banking Terms and Conditions and the Deposit Agreement applicable to your account.
- How much transaction history can I view online?
- You can view up to 90 days of transaction history through Online Banking.
- What time of day do transfers occur? When is the latest time I can change or cancel a transfer?
- If you make an immediate transfer, it will happen immediately as long as it's before
7 p.m. CT. You may only change or cancel the transfer before it has been confirmed. Requests to transfer funds to a Commerce credit card account received on a Business Day before 7 p.m. will be debited from your Deposit Account on the same Business Day but credited to your credit card account on the next Business Day.
If you schedule a transfer to occur at a later date, the transfer will be made at 7 p.m. CT on the business day that is scheduled to happen. You may change or cancel a future scheduled transfer up to the cutoff time listed above.See our Online Banking Terms and Conditions for full details.
- Is there a way to save my account information to my computer?
- You may export your transactions to a file, from the "Transaction Download" screens. Choose"Accounts" then "Download". Select the "Account", a "From" and a "To" date, the type of file you'd like to "Download To" and select "Download". You may select Money (.OFX), QuickBooks (.QBO), Quicken (.QFX) or Comma Separated (.CSV).
Online Bill Pay (Checking Account Required)
- What is Online Bill Pay?
- Commerce Bank's Online Bill Pay is an Internet-based service that allows you to stay close to your money and pay your bills with ease - anytime, anywhere. With just a few clicks, Online Bill Pay lets you set up your bills to be paid, either once or on a recurring basis, to nearly any person or business in the United States. You may also receive bills electronically directly into your Online Bill Pay account. Imagine, no more hand writing checks, buying stamps, licking envelopes, or making trips to the post office. You'll like the way it will simplify your life.
- I’m new to Online Banking, how do I enroll in Online Bill Pay?
- If you’ve yet to activate any of our Online Services, you must first activate Online Banking. During that activation process, you can either enroll in Online Bill Pay at the same time or you can enroll in Online Bill Pay at a later time. Just go to the Activation page and choose your preferred method of access.
- I've already activated Online Banking. How do I enroll in Online Bill Pay?
- If you currently use Online Banking through commercebank.com and would like to utilize Online Bill Pay as well, adding Online Bill Pay is easy. Just click “Pay Bills” from within Online Banking. If you would like to add Online Bill Pay to your Online Banking through PFM, please download an application.
- Whom can I pay using Online Bill Pay?
- You can pay almost anyone in the United States, from your long distance phone company to the babysitter.
Note: You may not make a payment of alimony, maintenance, child support, taxes or other governmental fees or court directed payments through the service. For more information, please see the Online Banking Terms and Conditions.
- From what types of accounts may I make payments?
- Payments can be made from any personal Commerce Bank checking account.
- When is the money withdrawn from my account for the bills that I pay online?
- The date that money is withdrawn from your account varies based on the payment method. If a paper draft is used, the money will be withdrawn when the check clears. If an electronic method is used, the money will be withdrawn on the due date.
For more information, please see the Online Banking Terms and Conditions.
- How long does it take for a payment to reach the recipient?
- In many cases, your payment can be posted the next day, however, some payments may take up to five business days to reach their destination and be processed. The Calendar icon will show you the first available pay-date for your payment.
For more information, please see the Online Banking Terms and Conditions.
- When can I schedule a payment?
- You may schedule a payment up to 360 days in advance. The Calendar icon in Online Bill Pay shows the earliest available payment date for that biller.
- Can I access my Online Bill Pay from any computer?
- Yes, if you activated Online Banking through the Internet. As long as you have access to a computer with Internet access and a browser that supports 128-bit encryption, you may use Online Bill Pay no matter where you are.
If you are enrolled in Online Banking through PFM , you may only access your Online Bill Pay service from the computer that has your personal financial management software.
- How much Online Bill Pay history can I view online?
- Up to six months of bill payment history is available for viewing online, depending on the current date and your statement cycle date. For information more than six months old, please:
- Call our Customer Care Center at 800-986-2265; or
- If you are an Online Banking customer, log in to send a secure email, which may include your Social Security Number or account number; or
- Come by and visit a Commerce Banker today.
- What are E-Bills and how do they work?
- With Online Bill Pay you can receive your bills electronically from participating billers, review them online (or print them), and then schedule payments at a future date, all in one online session. E-Bills are only available with Online Bill Pay through the Internet, not through your Personal Financial Management software (PFM).
Online Banking through Personal Financial Management software (Online Banking through PFM)
- What is Online Banking through Personal Financial Management software (Online Banking through PFM)?
- With Online Banking through PFM, your banking information is downloaded directly into your PFM software – including Quicken. This allows you to integrate your banking information with your total financial picture, reconcile accounts quickly and easily, and keep an electronic check register.
- Where can I use Online Banking through PFM?
- You can access Online Banking through PFM from the computer on which you have installed your PFM software. You'll also need an Internet connection.
- Can I pay bills with Online Banking through PFM?
- Yes – and your bill payments will automatically be recorded in your electronic register. To enroll in Bill Pay through PFM, just request Bill Pay when you enroll for Online Banking through PFM. If you're already enrolled and would like to add the Bill Pay Service, just call us at 800-986-2265 or download an application and we'll get started with your upgrade.
- What is the cost for Online Banking through PFM?
- For Online Banking through PFM: Free with a CommerceOptions Plus or CommerceOptions Premium Checking Account. Other accounts: $3.00 per month for up to 8 online sessions; $.35 for each additional session.
- For Online Banking PLUS Bill Pay through PFM: Free with a CommerceOptions Plus or Premium Checking Account.* Other accounts (includes Online Banking Plus Online Bill Pay): $9.95 per month for up to 20 bill payments. Each additional payment is $.60. *One free Online Bill Pay account per CommerceOptions household.
- What happens if I upgrade my PFM Software?
- Your transactions and bill payment information will transfer to your upgraded software.
Enhanced Security Program
- Why am I being asked to set up security questions?
- Your security questions help us verify your identity.
- Will the system automatically remember my computer?
- No, you can ask us to remember the computer you’re using.
- I use Online Banking from home and work. Can you remember two different computers?
- Yes – you can ask us to remember computers that you regularly use. For your security, these should not be public computers – for example, the computers at the public library.
- Will I have to answer all three questions every time I am challenged?
- No, you can just answer one. We ask you to provide answers to three questions so that we can present you with different questions at different times.
- Will you always ask the same question first?
- No, we’ll choose randomly among your three questions.
- Can I also change my Security Questions and answers?
- Yes, you can – just click on “Self Service.”
- How do I contact Commerce Bank to find out more about Online Banking or if I have a question about my account?
- If you would like additional information or assistance, please:
- Call our Online Banking Customer Service at 800-986-2265.
- If you are an Online Banking customer, log in to send a secure email, which may include your Social Security Number or account number.
- Email Customer Service at email@example.com*. For your security, please do not include sensitive information such as your Social Security Number or account number in an unsecured email.
- Come by and visit a Commerce Banker today.
- What if I need help with my Online Banking service?
- Contact Online Banking Customer Service by calling 800-986-2265 or by sending a secure message from within Online Banking. Password resets are available anytime by calling 800-986-2265 and selecting option 1.
- How can I get a paper copy of the Online Banking Terms and Conditions?
- You may print the Terms and Conditions from our Web site or contact Online Banking Customer Service by calling 800-986-2265 or by sending secure message from within Online Banking or by standard Internet email.
- What do I do if I have forgotten my Password?
- If you have forgotten your Password, click on "Forgot Your Password." You will then be asked to confirm your personal identifiable information that we have on file. Please provide the information that is requested and click “Continue.” Once the information is verified, you will be given the opportunity to choose a new Password.
- What are your Customer Service Hours?
- You may call Online Banking Customer Service at 800-986-2265 Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. (Central Time) and Saturday 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Or you may always send a secure message from within Online Banking and a Customer Service Representative will respond your question as soon as possible. Password resets are available anytime by calling 800-986-2265 and selecting option 1.
- To send an email that contains confidential information, please visit the Secure Message Center where there are additional instructions about whether to use Secure Email or Online Banking messaging.